Tuesday, December 27, 2011

humbug

There is something bittersweet about Christmas memories..my early childhood memories were grand..magical.Now ..I am in a rush to get it all over with . the anticipation ..the nativity story..the umpteenth viewing of a Christmas Carol..the turkey dinner..the christmas morning surprise..the straining to hear gentle reindeer hooves on roof
This year I subscribed minimally to the event.I am typically not a callous or cool person..and have a great deal of the sentimental in me-which is precisely why I don't like Christmas anymore.It has lost it's spiritual magic..it's glow. I feel it is manufactured and contained in a shiny box and  Ino longer wish to contribute to it's shallow expectations. I enjoyed having my daughter home ..and relaxing together on the coach ..eating ,munching on special goodies through the day. my partner Stephen made a yummy dinner of bar bqued salmon..yet...
but I sensed a gap..and for me it had something to do with spiritual void..Working with people who are alone,impoverished,disenfranchised,unwell--it's kind of hard to go home and be cheery..there was a time I could make that divide-but not now.


sometimes it's the little things that bring joy

No comments: